Saturday 20 June 2009

Supernatural Room




The next room that I created was the supernatural room. I had always seen the rooms colour scheme as green, but Dans had seen purple. I did a few rough tests to view the difference, but it was agreed that green looked cooler (yay!). I also made some quick tests to identify which pattern would look best on the walls, choosing the squiggly lines over the curved.



You can see from the above tests that the wood doesn’t show through the coloured patterns, so it looks a bit strange and out of place with the rest of the ride. When allowing the wood to show through in a Photoshop texture, the glow effect would go, and I wasn’t prepared to sacrifice that. There had to be glow- I could see the image really clearly in my head! Ever the technician, Dan C suggested that I should make an incandescence and glow map. This was a brilliant suggestion as it would basically eliminate my problem, allowing the woody texture I had created in Photoshop to have a glow attached to it, creating the desired effect I was looking for.



I also textured the fire exit. Dan R had previously made the model, but as time was pressing, I had to texture it. The point of the fire exit is to make the room appear fake and obvious as a ride. It is out of place with the Victorian theme we have, but that just adds to the effect. Is the ride really Victorian, or just run down, is it magic or is someone controlling it? It signifies an obvious divide between the areas that are obviously ride, such as Kitty’s room and this room, and areas that are actual worlds such as the cave and the graveyard sequences.





1 comment:

C-Train said...

Very nice work!! WOW!!

http://c-trainsentertainmentreviews.blogspot.com/